Clarification of Terms
- "Contest Period" - 12:01(noon) PDT March 18 - 12:01(noon) PDT April 29, 2013
- "The Contest" - Petco Foundation Life is Better Together Photo Contest, which includes both a photo contest component and a fundraising component run as two separate contests within one. Both require upload of a photo for the contest.
- "Photo Contest" - component of The Contest which is judged by an independent panel of judges to arrive at 12 photos for the 2014 Petco Foundation Calendar.
- "Charitable Partner" - any of over 8,000 partners that Petco Foundation has provided assistance to in the form of grants, monetary disbursements from fundraisers, product or education. The current active Charitable Partner list can be found here.
- "Fundraising Contest" - component of The Contest which entails a votes-based fundraising competition to raise money for Petco Foundation Charitable Partners.
- "Individual Fundraiser" - single entrant who uploads a photo, makes a donation and solicits others for donations.
- "Fundraising Team" - all Individual Fundraisers who have selected the same Petco Foundation Charitable Partner to fundraise for.
Contest OutlineThe "Life is Better Together" photo contest is a fundraiser to benefit homeless pets. The Petco Foundation promotes adoption, spay/neuter, therapy and guide dog training and numerous animal welfare programs enacted by over 8000 partner groups.
Your participation in this contest, while fun and rewarding for you, will also help the many programs the Petco Foundation supports. We hope to show the world through your photos the amazing dogs, cats, bunnies and companion animals that can be adopted through shelters and rescues. What a great way for your own pet to give back!
The suggested tax deductible donation for submitting a photo is $5, but you are certainly not limited to that. And there's good news -this initial donation is counted toward your pet's votes ($1/vote) and is appreciated by the thousands of animals that this contest will benefit! Further, you are encouraged to invite your friends and family to enter and/or vote for your photo to generate money for your local shelter or rescue of choice. See the FUNDRAISING CONTEST section below for details.
- Photographs must contain only pets (owned or adoptable animals) and no human faces. Hands or arms are ok, as long as they support the theme (Life is Better Together).
- Photographs may not be edited or altered (other than minor color, contrast, or sharpness adjustments.)
- There is no limit on the number of photographs that can be entered.
- Photographs taken by a minor must be submitted by a legal guardian.
- This is an amateur photo contest. Professional photography will not be accepted.
- Acceptable photo formats are limited to .jpg, .bmp, and .tif
- Any photograph that includes content that is deemed inappropriate, indecent, or obscene, as determined by the staff of the Petco Foundation in their sole discretion, will be removed from the Contest with no opportunity for a refund.
- Photographs must be uploaded via this contest site .If you do not have access to a digital camera and/or computer, please contact Kimberly.Smith@petco.com for further assistance.
- The original photo should be no smaller than 3648 pixels X 2736 pixels @ 72 dpi. If the photo is too small, it will be disqualified for use in the calendar portion of the contest due to printing constraints. It will still be eligible for the fundraising portion of the contest.
- Do not crop if it will reduce the size of the photo below that stated above.
Things to avoid:
- White, red or closed eyes,
- Choke, shock or pinch collars and muzzles,
- Blurry subjects
- Camera phone photos, which are very often not large enough to use for print purposes.
- Busy photos, where there is so much going on in the background that it takes attention away from your pet. Similarly, photos where your pet is only a minor addition to the photo. This is a pet photo contest so, while the Grand Canyon is impressive, it likely will distract from adorable little Muffin who accompanied you on your vacation.
The "Life is Better Together" Photo Contest (the "Contest") is open to all legal U.S. residents who are at least eighteen (18) years of age. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited or restricted by law or regulations. This contest is also open to Petco and Petco Foundation associates.
How to Enter
Online entries must be received between 12:01 p.m., Pacific Standard Time ("PDT") on March 18, 2013 and 12:01 p.m. PDT on April 29, 2013 (the "Contest Period"). All entries and requests become the property of the Petco Foundation and will not be acknowledged or returned. By submitting a photo, entrant agrees that Petco Foundation may use any submitted photos in donation solicitations or on our site or social media without acknowledgement or recompense. Know that these uses help raise more money for homeless pets so your submission could continue to help homeless pets even if it does not win a spot in the calendar.
You agree that Petco Foundation may at any time, including prior to the Contest close, request the full resolution version of the submitted entry. This request is not to be construed as indication of a winning entry. The 12 winners must be able to provide full resolution versions of the image in order to claim the prizes. Winners will be announced once we have received all full resolution images.
You will be asked for the following information:
- A fundraising goal
- The name of the rescue/shelter partner for whom you'd like fundraising dollars (votes) to apply. Leaving this blank will allow us to allocate to the partner with the greatest need
- Your pet's name
- Your name
- If your pet was adopted, rescued, purchased, a gift or still adoptable
- From what organization or individual your pet was adopted/rescued/purchased
- How this photo addresses the theme "Life is Better Together"
- What shelter or rescue to support if not already on the drop down list
The suggested donation for entry is $5. This is a fundraiser to benefit homeless pets. A donation is not required, but is strongly encouraged. Donations are tax deductible by law. Please save your receipts for your tax records. The Petco Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- Each photo uploaded enters both the Fundraising and the Calendar Contest. It is not necessary to submit two copies of the same photo to enter both contests.
- Voting is not required in order to participate in the contest.
- The twelve photographs that are picked as winners by judges will win the Photo Contest. See PRIZES below for details.
- It is possible that the photo that wins Fundraising Contest will also win a spot in the calendar. Both winners are chosen separately. In this instance, the winner will be eligible to claim both prizes.
- Voting requires a $1 donation per vote. Entrants can and should solicit votes using the tools provided.
- The three (3) photographs with the most votes (donations) at the end of the contest period will win the Fundraising portion of the contest. See below for prize details.
- Donations/Voting is necessary to win the Fundraising prize.
- The voting period will begin at 12:01 p.m. PDT on March 18, 2013 and end at 12:01 p.m. PDT on April 29, 2013.
- Entrants may vote for their own entries.
- To vote, voter must go to the photo contest site and purchase a minimum of five (5) votes for a $5 donation. Those votes can then be cast for any photo entered in the contest in one vote increments.
- Voters do not have to use all of the votes at the time of donation, nor on a single entry. When voters donate, they will be given the option of applying all of the votes to one (1) entry or storing votes in their account. If voter chooses to store the votes, voter can log in to their account using their ID and password and vote at a later time.
- Votes left unused at the termination of the contest will be considered donations and will not be applied towards any single entry.
- Voting will not affect the decision for the photos included in the upcoming calendar. The Photo Contest is run separately from the Fundraising Contest .The calendar winners are determined by an independently judged vote as outlined below.
Selection of Winners
The twelve calendar winners will be chosen from all adopted/rescued/adoptable entries. A panel of judges designated by the Petco Foundation will judge all entries on the following factors:
- the quality of the image
- how well the image and the description fit the theme
A selection of 24 semi-finalists for the Photo Contest will be notified via email by the end of May, 2013 and will have one week to provide a high resolution version of their photo via email. The 12 winners will be selected from eligible photos in this group. Should this semi-finalist round not result in 12 high resolution photos, additional semi-finalists will be chosen until we are able to obtain a pool of 12 print-quality photos. Please ensure that addresses from Petco.com are not blocked in your junk mail/spam filters.
Winning Photos will be posted at PetcoFoundation.org following all winners being notified and print-eligible pictures received. Additionally, any submitted photos may also be featured in various promotional materials including online. The selection process will be conducted under the supervision of the Petco Foundation, whose decisions are final and binding.
The twelve entries chosen will then be become equal grand prize winners.
Any prize notification returned as undeliverable through no fault of Petco will result in disqualification of the potential winner and an alternate new entry will be selected. Potential winners will be notified by email to the address provided by entrants, who are solely responsible for its accuracy. Potential winners will be required to verify address and must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within 14 days of notification attempt or the prize will be forfeited and an alternate potential winner selected.
Fundraising winners will be determined by public voting. The three (3) Individual Fundraisers who receive the most votes when public voting ends on April 29, 2013 at 12:01 p.m. will be the Fundraising winners.
In the event of a tie, Petco Foundation will, at their discretion break the tie through an analysis of times votes came in to determine the three winners. The selection process will be conducted under the supervision of the Petco Foundation, whose decisions are final and binding.
Winners of the Fundraising Contest will be notified by e-mail on or about May 3, 2013, and will be given instructions on how to claim prize. Odds of winning depend on the number of votes each entrant receives.
Twelve grand prizes will be awarded to the twelve finalists chosen by our independent panel of judges for the photo portion of the contest. All winners will receive:
- Recognition on PetcoFoundation.org
- One (1) designated month for their pet in the 2014 calendar (70,000 copies sold nationwide)
- One (1) $100 Petco.com gift card
- $100 retail of pet products (selected and shipped from the Petco Foundation)
- Five (5) 2014 calendars
Prizes are non-transferable and are not redeemable for cash. Calendars will be available for sale in all Petco stores nationwide beginning November 2013, subject to change due to printing edits and/or delays.
It is possible that the photo that wins the Fundraising Contest will also win the Photo Contest. Both contests are run separately. In this instance, the winner will be eligible to claim both prizes.
The three (3) Individual Fundraisers who obtain the most votes in fundraising portion of the contest will be the Fundraising winners and will receive the following:
- A grant of an additional $2,500 to the approved rescue or shelter they chose
- Recognition on PetcoFoundation.org
- One (1) $100 Petco.com gift card
- $100 retail of pet products (selected and shipped from the Petco Foundation)
- One (1) 2014 calendar
Fundraising Team Grants
During the entry process, each participant chooses a shelter/rescue partner to support. They are teamed up with all others who have chosen the same partner to form a Fundraising Team.
A Fundraising Team must collects $1,500 or more in votes by the close of the Contest Period, to have their chosen partner receive a grant equal to the amount raised.
Grants will be awarded within to partners whose Fundraising Teams raise $1,500 or more during the Contest Period. Distribution of grant moneys will be within 6 weeks following the close of The Contest.
Fundraising Team Free Drawing
- Fundraising Teams that raise $500 or more during the Contest Period will be entered into a Free Drawing to win a single grant of $1,500 for their chosen partner.
- The free drawing will occur on Friday, May 3 at the Petco Foundation San Diego Offices (9125 Rehco Road, San Diego, CA 92121). The selection process will be conducted under the supervision of the Petco Foundation, whose decisions are final and binding.
- The winner need not be present to win.
- A free entry into this drawing can be obtained in person at 9125 Rehco Road, San Diego, CA 92121 from Kim Smith at the Petco Foundation.
All Petco Foundation Charitable Partners are not listed in the initial drop down for the contest. Existing Charitable Partners can be added during the entry process. See the Petco Foundation site for a comprehensive list of current Petco Foundation Charitable Partners.
To add an unlisted Charitable Partner during photo entry, Individual Fundraisers must choose "My Shelter is not in the Drop Down", the last choice in the drop down list on the entry page. They will type the shelter/rescue's name in the text box at the end of the entry form.
Shelter/rescues must be on our current active partner list to participate. If a shelter/rescue has changed names, they must use the name listed on the partner list for purposes of this contest.
New Charitable Partners cannot be added during this contest.
Charitable Partners may enter a photo on their own behalf and participate in the Fundraising Contest on their own behalf.
The Charitable Partner will receive a grant equal to the amount raised only if their Fundraising Team raises $1,500 or more.
All Charitable Partners who receive $500 or more in votes during the Contest Period, will be entered into a free drawing to receive a single $1,500 grant.
The top three Individual Fundraisers will win an additional $2,500 granted to their chosen partner.
When you enter the "Life is Better Together" Photo Contest, you warrant that you are at least eighteen (18) years old as of the date of entry, the photograph is original, that you are the sole owner and copyright holder of that photograph, and that you have not granted exclusive rights of that photograph to any other person or entity. You also warrant that the photograph does not invade the right of privacy of any individual; does not infringe any trademark, trade name, trade secret, intellectual property right, or other common law or statutory right; nor does it contain any material that otherwise violates any criminal prohibition or the personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity.
Grant of Rights in Connection with the Contest
With regard to any image or content submitted, you agree to grant the Petco Foundation, its legal representatives, successors, and assigns, the nonexclusive right and permission to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, publish, and distribute the photograph, or any portion thereof, throughout the world, in any printed form and by any kind of mechanical or electronic or any other method or device of reproduction, publication, and distribution known or later developed, during the full term of the copyright, and without notification or payment. The Petco Foundation agrees that it will never sell the photograph or rights in the photograph to any individual or entity.
You agree that Petco Foundation may at any time, including prior to the Contest close, request the full resolution version of the submitted entry. This request is not to be construed as indication of a winning entry.
Petco Foundation shall not be responsible for printing, typographical, human or other errors of any kind in any Contest-related materials or for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, or illegible entries. If, for any reason, the Contests are not capable of running as planned, or infection by computer viruses, bugs, or tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, actions of entrants, technical failures, or any other causes corrupt or infect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contests, the Petco Foundation reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any entry or entrant and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contests and at its sole discretion award a prize from among all eligible non-suspect entries validly received prior to the action requiring such modification. By entering, all Contestants agree that the Contests are governed by laws of the State of California for the resolution of all claims and disputes (excluding any claims against or disputes involving parties other than the Petco Foundation relating to any prize awarded in the Contests).
Use of Personally Identifiable Information
Personally identifiable information provided by entrants and voters will be added to the Petco Foundation's email list. Entrants and voters will be able to "opt out" of future such communications by following the instructions on any electronic communication we send. Sponsor does not sell, rent, trade or share its email addresses with any third parties for such party's own marketing purposes.
LEGAL WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL, WHETHER OR NOT AN ENTRANT, TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE, DESTROY, TAMPER OR VANDALIZE THIS WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST, IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND DILIGENTLY PURSUE ALL REMEDIES AGAINST ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121
If you have any other questions about the "Life is Better Together" Photo Contest, please contact Kim Smith by email at Kimberly.Smith@Petco.com. Thank you for participating and supporting the Petco Foundation!